music machinery, verbal wizardry

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

If there's one thing I learned about Maine this weekend, it's that they like stupid plays on their name. So let's say I have a bookstore.. I might want to name it Mainely Books. Or say I have a horse grooming service? Let's call it Maines and Tails! Ohhh hilarious.


We made it up there in one piece, stopping in Portsmouth along the way so that we could go to the Smuttynose Brew Pub for dinner (and beers of course.)


We hit Ogunquit at close to 9pm and managed to find Cat's uncle's cabin. I suppose I was expecting a cabin in the wood the whole time, but this was a nice, two floor condo with a covered back porch. Luxury! We were all pretty excited about having it as a (free) place to stay for the weekend. Hunter and Pete got wrapped into the Celtics, so Cat and I had a marathon of a conversation on the porch until the boys started peeking through the window, wondering where we'd gone.


The next morning we went to the Maine Diner for brunch. It was packed, even on a gray and rainy Saturday, and the food was delicious. After that we got back on the road and headed to Portland. I think it was at this point that we saw the man in the clown suit juggling in the rain in the front yard of some house. That was a little weird.


Portland was pretty great. Many of the towns in New England remind me of WA (like Port Townsend) with little shops and lots of brick and a waterfront view. Portland was pretty deserted for a city on a Saturday. It took forever to find a store that was open so I could buy batteries! We split up so Cat and I could look at clothes and Pete and Hunter could look at books. I eventually got batteries, so the picture taking started.


Cat and I found a lovely tree to stand under:




And there were boats:



And lobster traps:



We found the one vintage store in town and I bought a velvet cap with fake jewels and a grean belted dress. Cat found a Fred Perry tank top with tennis racks on it. We were both pretty satisfied.


Then we found Hunter and Pete doing what they do best:


After that, it was time for Pete's most anticipated part of the trip: Gritty McDuff's brew pub. Things got a little funny here. The door guy was really psyched on life "this whole summer's been amazing so far, yeah I'm doing really good." A stretch escalade limo pulled up with 20 bachelorette party ladies. The bride wore a white hoodie that said "Sexy Bride to Be." Hunter made a connection with the limo driver through the window. One of the ladies kissed the doorman goodbye on the lips. We drank some beers and ate some food.



We made it somewhat of an early night and got up the next day to head back home. Hunter cooked us up some omelets, plus there was homefries, english muffins, cantaloupe and bacon. It was brutal and delcious.


After cleaning up the condo, we made a stop at the Ogunquit beach (my idea!) which was cold and gray and rainy. I think it was worth it.. look at their faces!




This guy was looking for treasures:


Finally, we went back to Portsmouth and walked around for several hours. I bought a gold tree necklace


We took the Harbor trail for a while and saw some more water and a graveyard and some old ass houses:



(built in 1703 I believe)

Here are my purchases from the trip (can't see the dress too well, but whateverrr)


It was a really great weekend and I hope we get to return! Maybe without the rain, next time..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home