music machinery, verbal wizardry

Saturday, April 19, 2008

The city of Boston has woken from its wintery slumber and everyone, I mean EVERYONE is out and about. Last night Laura and I wandered around aimlessly looking for a place to eat in Harvard. Shay's patio was spilling out onto the sidewalk and there were lines practically everywhere else (note to self: open restaurant with huge patio and good beer selection for ultimate dollars.) We settled on Grendal's Den where we shared some dinner and I got to try out Magic Hat's Summer Odd Notion. Loved it.. dark beer that wasn't too heavy and had lots of flavor.

Today I took the 87 to the Cambridge Antique Market, which is five floors of pretty much anything you (or in this case, I) could want. I spent about two hours looking through the different booths. A good amount of the items were a bit over-priced but I managed to pick up a few things, including this vintage hat/headband that is a little strange but I figure I could just wear it and eventually it wouldn't seem so strange:


I also picked up this strapless, slightly 80's, cotton dress:



I kept my eyes peeled for a summer 2008 onesie, but didn't see one. I have no doubt that one will magically appear for me at some flea market or thrift store. It's just not summer without one.

After the antique market, I jumped on the T out to Allston. Lucky me, there was a baseball game AND a Bruins game. Baseball season is hell on earth for public transportation, but it is sorta cute when the T driver gets on the intercom and asks how people are doing and if they're excited about the game and everyone cheers.

I met up with Laura and we grabbed a slice (oh how I miss living by Upper Crust!) and stopped by Brookline Booksmith, where I bought Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City. I really loved Thunderstruck, and The Devil.. is supposed to be his best. The book, like Thunderstruck, tells the story of two men and how their lives intersect, this time at the World's Fair in Chicago.

After, we went and saw Young@Heart, which just opened this weekend. It's a documentary about the elderly chorus from Northampton called (duh) Young@Heart. It follows the group as they prepare for an upcoming performance.. Pretty heartwarming + heartbreaking. Even though it had me in tears several times, I'm glad I got to see it... Amazing to see people do such incredible things, even late in life.

Thought about going after that, but ended up watching some Flight of the Concords and coming home. I still am not sold on that show. Maybe without the singing I would like it?

It's late and I should sleep, but that damn book is calling me..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home