music machinery, verbal wizardry

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Last night I saw the Maximo Park/Monsters are Waiting/Oohlas show at Paradise.

Honestly, I liked the Oohlas record (or however its spelled record) so I was anxious to see them live for the first time. But for the love of god. They were so bad. Carl put it as "you know sometimes you tell a band to just shut up and play? With them it's just like.. shut up." Even the songs that stuck out on the record fell flat. Baby talk and thrashing around like your naked in bed does not equal charisma neither does telling the crowd "we drove three fucking days to be here" or "buy our fucking record! blah blah blah." Especially when the vocals sound like shit. All this band did was make me want to see Visqueen. In fact, I texted Ben Hooker to find out when they might be in town (no response!)

Speaking of amazing vocals (Visqueen) I'm listening to Neko Case and once again trying to figure out if there's any legal way to marry her voice.

Anyway, Monsters Are Waiting were fine and all, but they sorta put everyone into snoresville.

But Holy Shit, Maximo Park. Even though I missed the red leather jacket and glove, their show was even more incredible than the one I saw in Seattle. The dude is like the Fred Astaire of rock (err Brit rock? British dance pop? wtf?) I stood there with a huge grin as they pounded through song after song, jumping dancing and the keyboard doing that weird robot chop he does. The crowd was nuts, the show was nuts and there was that energy floating in the air that is so hard to create. Ahhh so good.

I've decided to move somewhere new in two years. That'll be 5 years in Boston. I think that's a good number to end on. Not sure where to next. Suggestions? Don't say WA, that is too obvious. Not going to NYC either. Be creative. I'm thinking Savannah. Or the moon.

Also, find me a new apartment please. Thanks.

RIP Mr. Butch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home