music machinery, verbal wizardry

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Outer Limits

Last night was Filter's Music Appreciation night in Boston. This meant that they put on a free show and everyone got to come and get free stuff and see good bands (well, one good band in my opinion) and hang out. While it was a good idea in theory, whoever planned the damn thing should have had the foresight to pick a smaller venue. After waiting for like 20 minutes for a Forrest Hills train, Eli and I got to Boston Center for the Arts (which is in Back Bay, where I never go, even though I should because everything is brick and clean and quiet and quaint and way too expensive.) In order to get into the show, we had to get our picture taken in some new car outside (not sure why.) They also gave us a button to turn in for a free Da Kine backpack (sweet!) inside and a drink ticket (sweet!) We get inside, get our free backpack and free beer and settle into this cavernous room that at the peak of the night probably only had 150 people inside, which wouldn't be so bad if the room wasn't made to hold upwards of like 2000. DJ Carb and Dave Virr were playing songs before the bands started. It was loud. Real loud.

So
Unbusted played. And they were good. We've been listening to them quite a bit in the office, so I've grown to like the band even more.. They had a few free copies of their Ep which I grabbed. Fenway Recordings is putting them out, which is pretty great. Anyway, they played their songs and played them well and their friends were there to see them and then Ben's bass broke and it was pretty much over. The Walkmen headlined, but we didn't stick around cause it was late-ish and we were tired and I'm still mad at the Walkmen for calling people in Bellingham a bunch of depressed alcoholics and punching that kid in the face at the 3B (which I didn't see cause I was too drunk and depressed that night.)

Monday night me, Laura, Aimee, Eli and Dave Godowsky saw John Vanderslice and I sorta melted into a puddle when he grabbed me and Eli in a big hug and said "I feel like I had a little something to do with this!" Eli used to talk to JV about me back in Seattle and about the whole distance thing and if I remembered correctly, he encouraged Eli to stick with this whole thing and all that (correct me if I'm wrong Eli... I can't remember the exact story.) The next day Eli told me he had a surprise for me, which was the JV pillowcase that we both had been drooling over.. so now I can say I sleep with John Vanderslice every night. Creeeepy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home