music machinery, verbal wizardry

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

100th Day

I've decided that since I've collected a fair amount of embarrassing stories throughout my life, I'd write them down here so that they could be laughed at properly. I admit that some of them aren't "funny" so much as they are "holy shit, why is Bethany so weird," but I think they're still worthwhile.

I remembered today's tidbit while talking to an old friend yesterday about attending a Christian school in Bremerton while we were growing up. I went to Sylvan Way from preschool until 2nd grade(after which I, terrified of the secular world, was put into public school.) Each year, Sylvan Way would throw our 100th Day party, to celebrate none other than... our 100th day of school. I remember it being a fairly big deal, with the countdown to the special day on the wall of my classroom. I'm not sure why we chose to celebrate it. Maybe they wouldn't let us celebrate Halloween and this was their way of making it up to us?

When 100th Day finally arrived, we had a big celebration, releasing balloons in the play field with little notes inside (once again, not sure why we did this).. Another part of the day was a display of different groups of 100 things in the foyer of the church. Everyone could bring 100 of whatever they wanted.. 100 popcorn kernels, 100 buttons, 100 pieces of meat.. whateeever you wanted. Since I was such a huge Barbie fan, I decided to bring 100 Barbie items. I'm guessing that most people with the same idea might just bring in a box of Barbies and accessories, but NO! NOT ME! For several tedious hours, my mom and I, sprawled in front of the tv, attached 100 Barbie clothes and accessories to my mom's tattered white crew neck sweatshirt. Although I can't remember properly, I'm guessing I wore that damn thing proudly.

And this is the point of my story when I realize that my story has no point and I stop it abruptly. Typical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home