music machinery, verbal wizardry

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Is That What Your Inner Voice Sounds Like?

Nate had a show last night, and I planned to attend, but not before catching America's Next Top Model after missing it for like 2-3 weeks in a row. Finally they wised up and gave annoying Gina the boot. She might have photographed well, but she just didn't cut it in person. I think her jumping up and down on one leg and laughing creepily at Janet Dickinson's request pretty much sealed her fate. Plus no one likes a whiney baby.

After scrubbing the bathroom, dusting the living room and wiping down the kitchen counters, Eli and I ran over to Bill's for the show. Apparently Scholar had brought a ton of people (there was a tally at the door.. I put us both down as fans of Winterpills.) The crowd consisted mostly of x'd up college kids... which is fine, except it provided a difficult setting for Winterpills, who are fairly quiet pop music. I enjoyed their set, but it was definitly a tough one for a noisy bar. I don't know if it's possible to get an intimate setting for a show these days, but I think that's where they'd be best heard.

I'd been really excited about seeing Young Republic for some time now. From their MP3's they sounded a lot like Belle and Sebastian, so I was interested to hear more of them. I think I may have had too high of expectations. They weren't bad by any means, but were a little different than what I expected. After a few songs, they began to remind me more of Bright Eyes than anything else.. and even though I was a fan of the wide span of instruments they had up there, I don't know if they needed three violins. At the same time, they're still a young band and I think that they're only gonna get better (as long as they can keep all nine members intact.) So yeah. They have potential. What an asshole statement for me to make.

Songs I love right now:
Birdmonster: Cause You Can
Dirty On Purpose: Light Pollution
Most Serene Republic: You're Not An Astronaut

It is goddamn beautiful outside today. Jenny arrives in Boston any minute now. Hooray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home