music machinery, verbal wizardry

Thursday, April 20, 2006

First Regret of the Day


We have a lot of Easter candy left over at my house. I'm not just talking about a few Cadbury Creme Eggs or a couple jelly beans... I'm talking about A LOT of candy. It's covers our whole dining room table... Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, 2-3 kinds of jelly beans, a bowlful of Peeps, brownies, Robin Eggs, Easter-colored almond M&Ms.... it's sickening, but yet I cannot stop consuming it! Every morning when I go to take a shower, it's there. As I pack my lunch for the day, it taunts me. When I get home at the end of the day, it's still sitting there. This morning I resisted the urge to throw some in my bag though. I'm wishing I did now. The faster I eat it, the sooner I won't have to look at it right? Stupid stupid Bethany.

Last night I made one of the best purchases of my life. While waiting for the Cadence Weapon/Why?/Islands show to start, Eli and I strolled to the used bookstore down the street from the Middle East. Not only were they playing Neko Case in the store, but I found (and purchased) the most delightful book I've seen in all my 24 years. It's called The Hospital Zoo- And You Think You've Got Troubles!!?! Basically it's 30 black and white pictures of various zoo animals with talk bubbles saying ridiculous things... Like a Llama saying "Keep your hands to yourself Mr. Harrison!" and a ferocious tiger exclaiming "Quiet!! This is a hospital!!" On the last page of the book, the orignal gift giver wrote "You'll be up and about in no time. Love, Marcia and Michael xoxo." I really would like to know who was in the hospital and whether or not they loved the book as much as I do.


The show last night was great. I'd seen Cadence Weapon in Toronto last year, but he was much more entertaining this time around, even without his baby-faced DJ (who couldn't get over the border.) This was my first time seeing Why?.. They're one of those bands that everyone has told me to listen to but I hadn't thus far because I put it off and never bought a record. Luckily I had cash with me last night.. I am now the proud owner of Elephant Eyelash! I'm going to put it on now (which means I have to take off
Asleep in the Sea, who are really good if you haven't listened to them before.) Islands went on to an already adoring crowd, even though they've only played here once and their record just came out in the US yesterday. Eli pointed out how many people were singing along. Behold the power of the interweb! This was my third time seeing them (although their sxsw show is a little fuzzy).. I applaud any sound guy willing to take on the challenge of properly mic-ing and balancing a bass clarinet and two voilins with everything else. I'm guessing it's tough to make it not sound like muddled shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home