music machinery, verbal wizardry

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Umm.. but I didn't laugh indoors. Bummer

So usually Hershey's Kisses aren't that appealing.. mostly because the chocolate isn't that great and it just doesn't have that extra oomph that something like say.. peanut M&Ms have.. until now. Shaw's had samples of Kissables today, so of course, I sampled. They're basically small kisses in a candy coating, which is pretty simple, but I think I'm hooked already. In fact. I sorta feel the need to vomit. I wonder if my puke would be rainbow colored. Anyway, if you're a fan of Smarties from Canada.. test Kissables out. THEY'RE THE AMERICAN ALTERNATIVE TO SMARTIES.

Last night half of the Barsuk messageboard (Eli, Aimee, Alina, Nickers and I) grabbed hot dogs at Spikes before heading over the Agga-whatever area for the Cribs/Death Cab/Franz show. Alina's been following DCFC for I'm not sure how many shows now.. She came in from Seattle and is seeing them something like 7 times in the next few days. Nickers was in from Brooklyn (I neglected to ask her how she got out of teaching class).. We were a lovely bunch, and after parting ways, Eli and I made our way to our seats.

First off, I HATE arena shows. There's nothing worse than climbing up and down dizzyingly steep cement steps to get to a nosebleed section plastic seat only to find yourself surrounded by pot-smoking yahoo teenagers. When the usher informed us we had "fun seats," I had visions of being stuck in those awkward seats practically behind the stage. Luckily for us, "fun seats" meant we got to sit in the third row. We were so close that I could have easily chucked my shoe at Gibbard's head. Fantastic. Thank you Grant from Barsuk, we love you.

Anyway, the show got started and, although I was a little iffy before the show, it was great to see Death Cab again. I felt a little misty eyed thinking about the fact that the last time I saw them was when they played KUGS' 30th anniversary show in 2004 in front of something like 800 people. And now here they were, playing in front of god knows how many people, and fancy enough to have large white houses with light shows behind them on stage. Alina hit it right when she said they "play in suburbia." They mostly pulled from Photo Album (their best record in my opinion,) only hitting a couple of the new songs. During Soul Meets Body, I looked back to see Laura in the VIP section doing the Vagina Cup dance. Ah what a moment. All in all, a great set. Well done boys.

I'd never seen Franz before, but Eli and I decided to stick around since our seats were so great. They were entertaining and charming and as much as I hate Take Me Out at this point, it was great to look around and see the majority of the audience going nuts. I'm glad that I saw them and I'm glad I didn't have to see them from the back of the room cause I probably would have hated them.

We took off after that so Eli could catch Gris Gris down the street and as we were walking we got into a conversation about bands and labels and signing bands and running labels. It's a conversation we constantly have- why do labels sign certain bands and not others? why don't people hire us for A&R? why is everyone so stupid?!- but it never seems to get old. At some point he asked me who I would sign first if I had my own label. In the back of my mind I had an idea, but didn't spit it out. After we said goodbye I continue my walk home and clicked on my ipod.. I know I'm a sucker for pop music, but as I made my way to Coolidge Corner, I thought about how great it would be to put out a new
Murder Beach record. On my imaginary record label. That I will own some day. Seriously, why don't more people love this band?!?!

3 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gris gris?!?! gris gris!?!? srsly, cause i love them. i hope the show is good as i dream it to beeeeeee.

(p.s. i thoroughly enjoy stalking yr life through yr blog, my love.)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Bethany said...

please stalk! please!

i didn't see gris gris but i'm assuming they were good? i don't like music??

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought some today.
they're just hershey kiss shaped m&ms. what a let down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home