music machinery, verbal wizardry

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Wonder Years



Man oh man, was I delighted last night. We're talking de-light-ed. I was flipped through trying to figure out if the new season of the Bachelor was on (I was in the mood for some gross gooshy tv (when am I not?)) and I passed through channel 12.. to my surprise and delight, I saw that my favorite show of all time The Wonder Years was coming on at 10.

I texted Hunter about 5 times with various forms of "holy shit! Wonder Years!" until he finally replied "you really love the Wonder Years, huh?"

UH YES.

When I was a kid I secretly wrote I <3 F.S. on the bottom of a board game box. I watched religiously. I wanted to name my future daughter Lisa after one of Kevin's crushes who I was particularly envious of. I sobbed during the final episode. I've spent the last few years praying that it would finally be released on DVD. I'm one step away from being like that Ninja Turtle fanatic from that YouTube clip. Sorta.

The thing is, The Wonder Years remind me of being a kid. Not only in my own life, but universally. Those struggles are everyone's awkward struggles. The show had a sense of humor and was always honest. Even watching last night, as Kevin and Winnie met by the trees to try and "make out," something in my head went back to my own experience in 5th grade.. meeting by the big rock behind the school to kiss Josh Mitchell. We shuffled our feet. We both stammered out "ihavetogocatchthebus""ihavetogotogymnastics." And that was it. I'm convinced that has everyone has had those little moments.. and I love Wonder Years for reminding me how funny they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home