music machinery, verbal wizardry

Friday, March 30, 2007

Plug In to the Muffin Mix


I said this about three times last night, but when I worked at KUGS about three years ago, I SWEAR I interviewed Stars of Track and Field. I remember because one of them had funny pants and they made me show them the way to Boundary Bay Brewery. They tried to get me to join them but I had other college duties to attend to, like drinking somewhere else and probably embarassing myself. Anyway, imagine my surprise when three slick lookin dudes calling themselves Stars of Track and Field saddled up to the Great Scott microphone last night. What? What are these pre-recorded bass tracks? Do they even HAVE a drummer? What happened to awkward hippies that came to my studio that day? Thanks but no thanks Portland.


Broken West came out the gate playing Down in the Valley, which is one of my favorite songs off the new record. I almost wished they'd hidden it deeper in the set so I could wait for it. But they played it, and it was great and so was the rest of the set. I did a lot of foot tapping and and bobbing back and forth and I'm still trying to find out how a band this good came out of Los Angeles, the city without a soul.


Finally it was time for the Long Winters and all of the super fans to come out of the woodwork and give muffin mix and be sorta creepy. I mean, it was sorta cute, but sorta creepy. Who gives muffin mix to a band and then gets so excited about it that they can't explain WHY they've given it? The set was great.. Instead of making us wait around for an encore, they played straight through, no McDonalds trips included. Highlights: Ultimatum (acoustic) , Cinnamon, Hindsight, and (It's A) Departure (with group kazoo-along.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home