music machinery, verbal wizardry

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

No Longer Hiding

I like going into something with neutral expectations and being, maybe not surprised, but impressed. Like really impressed. Like really impressed and happy and satisfied. That was last night. Yes sir/ma'am.

To be honest, I hadn't spent much time with Land of Talk, Field Music OR Menomena. Shame on me, I know. Sometimes I get lazy on listening to new music cause I'm too busy being fixated on something else, like other new music. So Land of Talk, never heard. Field Music? Maybe a song or two. Menomena: a few times through the last record, a few times through the new. Didn't listen closely, bad bad Bethany.

So I got to Great Scott, toting my cds and wondering how I was gonna wade through the crowd to the DJ booth. Land of Talk were on. They were great. Straight-up. I know it's pretty obvious, but I think the best thing a band can do is write good songs, and these guys do it flawlessly. Even after only one listen, their melodies have dug themselves into my head.

I didn't pay attention to Field Music as closely as I should have. I was busy discussing dogs with Aaron and Caitlin. But they sounded good from a distance! The obvious comparison is The Futureheads, but I'm not that obvious so I'll compare them to Eric Clapton, who they sound nothing like. Ben said they sounded like Steely Dan. I like vocal harmonies. Ok.

Finally Menomena came on and played me some sweet baritone sax. I mean really, add in any instrument that reminds me of being 13 and in band class and I'll instantly fall in love. I'm only halfway joking. Besides sounding absolutely killer, the band were likable on stage.. sincere and natural. After playing nearly an hour, the band was cheered back onstage for one last song only to find their drummer missing. Apparently he had run to McDonalds. The crowd had to wait five minutes before he returned (to a chanting of "Danny! Danny! Danny!") I've been inspired to listen to Menomena 348779 more times. Thank you Portland.


Tonight Hunter and I are heading to Addis Red Sea for dinner. Date night! I've never had Ethopian food, so it should be delicious. And we're supposed to try the honey wine. Mmm.

Other things:
- Asleep In the Sea broke up. Stupid Asleep in the Sea.

- Caitlin pointed out that my blog is linked on the Deep Ellum website. Thank god I liked the place and wasn't saying "vomit vomit puke puke." I should go back there. I tested out the mint julep last time. Very excellent!

- Long Winters, Broken West and Stars of Track and Field at GS tomorrow, Mason Proper and Birdmonster at Mideast upstairs on Friday, Rocky Votolato at GS on Saturday. Whew!

- My new love is The Eames Era. I heard them on WOXY and fell in love. I'm beginning to think Lousiana is a hotbed for good new music. Hmm.

-This is pretty funny.

-Team Courage is presenting the Suburban Kids with Biblical Names show on May 1 at Great Scott. Hooray Sweden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home