music machinery, verbal wizardry

Friday, February 17, 2006

WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!?

So I broke my "no drinking on the weekdays" rule roughly two days after making it (well, if you count the saki with dinner on V-day, I'd broken it already). Steve, Canada and I grabbed dinner at Brown Sugar and then headed over to the Paradise to check out The Vacation show. Apparently they were running late, cause we stood in line for what seemed like forever. Luckily super-fan was there for us to observe. Canada said she has a thing for 60's influenced rock bands, he'd seen her at Brian Jonestown Massacre. She's under 21 and seems to have a mental handicap.. and she really loves her musicians. Throughout the whole show she was pacing inside and outside looking for them. It was interesting to watch.

We watched the Twenty-Twos open up, who remind me of The Catch and Veruca Salt. They always get to open up the Fenway Recording sessions at Great Scott, so I'd seen them before. They're pretty good, not earthshattering, but good. The Vacation came on next and channeled some Mick Jagger and Iggy Pop for stage presence inspiration. Between running around shirtless, beating his chest bloody and rolling around on the floor, the lead singer managed to win the crowd over. He really did look like a 10 year old boy with a moustache though.

After that we went over to Harper's Ferry (I know I know) for Group Sounds and I learned how Mark Kates gets all those great shows for the Fenway Recording sessions.. I guess people just come to him. Lucky bastard. Anyway, Group Sounds were good, poppy and energetic. The 18 year olds loved them of course.

Next, since I'd had a few drinks, I went over to the Common Ground and bounced around to some 80's songs for a while. Afterwards I stopped by GS to tell Eli to come over after work (I fell asleep of course) and grabbed a piece of pizza with Nate at Inbound. He had to point out the sodas to me. Because I'm an idiot. And because apparently that was "the drunkest he'd ever seen me." I'm gonna fall asleep now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home