music machinery, verbal wizardry

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

You're Terrible Muriel!

On America's Next Top Model (2 seasons ago), the girls went to Japan and had to do a commercial for Campbell's soup in Japanese. They kept messing up their pronounciation etc.. it was embarassing. So imagine my excitement upon realizing that the appetizer that Eli and I picked out at Mr. Sushi had a name that would no doubt make me look like a fool in ordering it.. We pressed on. When it arrived (it was called Agedashi), it was the same dish we'd ordered in Orlando over the summer. Soupy with tofu and impossible to eat, it also had a strange shredded substance, and radish, which Eli realized he shouldn't shove in his mouth like candy. I was curious as to what the shredded substance was, so I looked it up. Apparently it's some weird fish. I don't feel as bad for spitting it out on my plate now.

After dinner, we ran to my place so I could exchange the heels I'd foolishly worn for a pair of flats, and decided to do our Valetine's Day gift exchange. Along with London Calling (my music collection is crap, Eli is doing a very good job at fixing that, thank goodness), he gave me a copy of Muriel's Wedding on DVD. I know it's not really a "popular" choice for a favorite movie, and I usually hate movies in general, but seriously, I love it to bits. I don't remember how old I was when I rented it, but it directly influenced me buying ABBA Gold.

While the movie is supposed to be funny, it's actually really dark and sad, which is why I like it. I mean, how you could not love a movie about a Australian loser who's obsessed with marriage and ABBA? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home