music machinery, verbal wizardry

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Make Us Feel Like Locals


I know this is totally an old lady statement to make, but George Hunter of Catfish Haven has a set of pipes. I'd never heard their music until last night and I was half-expecting to hear a Black Keys rip-off, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Sadly, since I need 495809 hours of sleep, I had to leave early, but I left them a nice note written on a napkin and $8 for their cd.

The whole night was pleasant to be honest. There wasn't a huge turnout, but it was a nice environment for a Monday night that allowed me to play some bands/songs that I ususually don't play on Saturday nights. It also helped me realize that the mono speakers at Great Scott aren't very well equipped to handle Mason Proper's 'A Chance Encounter.' It sounded so much better in my headphones!

The Reciever opened up the show, bathed in colorful disco lights cause the sound guy couldn't figure out how to turn them off. I'd heard a few of their songs on myspace, but this gave me a better idea of what they're all about.. They actually reminded me of Jeremy Enigk, maybe not so much in instrumentation, but in Casey Cooper's vocals. I talked to them a bit after the show about their upcoming record and all that. Apparently I'm not the only one who likes to escape to Astoria. The only difference is they go there to record.

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin reminded me of those nice-but-nerdy kids from your high school, if those nice-but-nerdy kids played really good pop music.
It's a difficult task for a band to come off as likeable people, but all five of them managed to. Especially cause the drummer requested that Eli play Annie before they went on as their "intro music."

Today is Valentine's Day. My mom just called me to wish me a happy one and ask if I'm "buried in snow" (no) and if me and Eli are doing something "special" tonight (yes). We've got reservations at Mr. Sushi down the street from my apartment.. I've been lusting after that restaurant ever since I moved to Brookline but still haven't set foot inside it. Hopefully it does not disapoint! Afterwards we're headed over to Bill's Bar for Nate's Electronic Valentine show. Should be a good time. Hopefully there'll be a bunch of lonely people trying to hook up with each other. In the meantime, I'm gonna use the holiday as an excuse to eat red pink and white candycorn all day!

By the way, this is one of the things that comes up when you google "puppy love." My gift to you!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home