music machinery, verbal wizardry

Friday, October 27, 2006

Ridiculous Bands with Ridiculous Names Names Names Names

My dear friend Derek aka Gary Powers has been telling me to check out Shout Out Out Out Out for months now but, even though I trust his taste, I'm a bit slow with these sorts of things. Go to a record store? Wha??? So I did what any other lazy promoter would do and had Justin at Fanatic send me a copy, which just arrived yesterday. Although I was suspect at first, they won me over as soon as I heard the first verse of Self Loathing Rulz:


I want to thank myself for being so hard on myself.
There's no one else could know how much I really must improve.
I see my faults come through in every aspect of my life.
I just see the downside of every single thing I do

I then realized that self-loathing DOES rule. With the crazy vocoders, the vocals reminds me of none-other of Noah Weaver of USE. Musically, the massive group of Canadians that is Shout Out Out Out Out is insanely addictive and ready-made for the dance floor. When I played the record for my dear friend Laura last night, she asked where she could get a copy only a few minutes into it. This was after I was late getting to her apartment due to excessive bedroom dancing.


Equally exciting are Sweden's Suburban Kids With Biblical Names. I've had a few mp3's of this duo for a while now, but recently got ahold of the full record, which is being released by Minty Fresh. With the voice (and accent) of Jens Lekman, mixed with poppy jaunts and snaps & claps and a endless supply of glass-is-half-full-let's-take-a-stroll-through-the-park-and-kiss-at-sunset attitude, it's impossible not to fall in love with SKWBN. God I love pop music.

LDW ver. 2 was a great time last night. DJ Rndm especially. It's sorta hard to dance when you can't stop staring and saying "HOW DID HE DO THAT." I was insanely impressed. And I learned that nothing makes Ben Sisto dance like a little booty hip hop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home