music machinery, verbal wizardry

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

This morning. in a Nyquil fog, I boarded the C Line behind a family of three. The dad sat his two girls down in one seat and clutched a stroller and a paper bag from Finagle a Bagel as he stood next to them. Immediately the older of the girls asked for a piece of bagel with "the bottom cut off." Obligingly, the man shifted his weight, dug into the paper sack and extracted two cream cheesed pieces of bagel. The tantrum began.

"Daddy you didn't listen to my voice!" whined the little girl.

He asked her what was wrong, squatting next to her. "I told you to cut the bottom off but you didn't listen to my voice."

This went on for several minutes, all the while, she wailed "You didn't listen to my voice!!"

Finally, her dad pulled out a magnadoodle, an awkward piece on a crowded train, and went to work. He drew a bagel in the middle of the board.. a smiling happy bagel.. and drew a diagram, explaining to his daughter how bagels were cut.

I admire this man, I really do. I do not have that kind of patience. It wasn't even my child and I was about ready to give her a time out. Perhaps when I have kids someday, I will think of him and take a deep breath and resist the urge to roll my eyes at my children. Probably not, but one can hope.

Back to that Nyquil fog. Yesterday I developed some sort of allergy to something (work maybe?) which caused me to sneeze uncontrollably. Although I hate to say it, there's some satisfying about sneezing four times in a row. That's beside the point though. I had pockets full of tissues with me by the time I got to the Avalon. Jose Gonzalez was great. He was quiet and acoustic, which was strange for the huge room, but I'm glad I got to see him.

Anyway, after Jose was over, I made my way home (early!) and went to work trying to fix my runny nose etc. The only pills I had were iron and Nyquil, so I opted for the latter. Now, I must point out that a few years ago, I was the absolute SICKEST I've ever been.. vomiting, using rolls of toilet paper on my runny nose, no appetite etc. One of those nights I decided to take Nyquil gel caps. Bad idea. If you're vomiting a lot, never take Nyquil, cause you will puke it up and you will want to die. I have a strong aversion to cough medicine. Especially when it's coming backwards up my throat.

So based on past experience, Nyquil= scary.

So naturally, I took 'em. Then I promptly fell asleep at 10pm. I woke up twice to the noise of my phone buzzing with stories of the Dears show and possible B-hamsters coming my way.. but my body was so numb that I couldn't bring myself to move. If I had spoken, it would have sounded something like this "mlllllammmmmmnnnnnnnnlammmm."

Good news is, my nose is no longer running.
Bad news is, my brain is asleep and I think my lazy eye has gotten lazier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home