music machinery, verbal wizardry

Monday, September 11, 2006

Mechanical Museum

I broke my camera last night.

That's a lie, cause it was already broken. Sometimes it would work if I put new batteries in it, at least for a short period of time. Then after a certain point, the screen would go black or blurry and pictures would be non-existant or unrecognizable smears of pink-orange. I figured out I could sometimes fix this if i banged the camera again the heel of my hand. Or banged it on a table. Or a wall. Or a friend. But then I just looked like an idiot.

So last night, frustrated that I couldn't take a picture of the white socks I was wearing with my country dress, I decided to disessemble my camera. My thinking, of course, was that if I took it apart and put it back together, it would be magically fixed! That's how people fix things, right?! So I set to work, removing tiny screw after tiny screw, placing them carefully on my comforter and trying to memorize where they all went. After removing 8 or so, the back of the camera finally popped off and I was left with naked mechanics and dust. Naturally, I poked around with my finger, brushed off the display and decided that that was sufficient. On went the back of the camera. In went the screws. Well, in went all but two of the screws, cause I forgot where some of them were supposed to go. I slipped the batteries back in and prepared to pat myself on the back for a job well done.

I pressed the on button and......

nothing.

hmmm maybe I put the batteries in wrong...

nope, nothing.

The camera is dead.

I murdered my own camera.

When I was young I took apart my touch lamp and electrocuted myself. I think I broke my computer when I took apart to see why it smelled like burning a few years ago. Keep me away from a screwdriver or I will ruin your life.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhhhhhh . . .

Not a good idea to take apart a camera like that.

If you hurt the CCD, you're SOL and you'll never get a good picture out of the thing again.

What is it with you breaking your electronics????

//BIG BROTHER

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Bethany said...

the thing was already screwed up anyway and I planned on getting a new one soonish... when i went home that night it actually turned on. it made a funny noise, but it turned on.. i'm guessing with new batteries it'll work just as shitty as it did before i took it apart.

i don't know why i like taking things apart.. i guess i'm just always convinced i just need to clean out the dust to make it work again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home