music machinery, verbal wizardry

Friday, May 22, 2009

I have arrived! (last night)

I magically managed to have the best flight ever - direct, whole row
to myself, accidental free glass of merlot, Little Children (hope I
didn't expose anyone to Kate Winslet's boobs...), seat near the front
of the place so that I got off quick, bag came fast, etc. Flights
never go that smooth for me. VACATIONNN.

Melissa and Sean's apartment in Wicker Park is incredible - high
ceilings, granite counters.. jealous jealous jealous. The
architecture here is really diverse, which means I've spent the whole
time with my eyes up, checkin it all out. Totally a nerd for the
minute details that these old buildings have.

Mel worked until 2 today, so I woke up and took Andrew Jackson to the
dog park before I hopped the train to Hyde Park. After reading Devil
in the White City, I got a bit obsessed with Daniel Burnham and all he
designed in Chicago, so I went to the Museum of Science and Industry
(even though it's a total kid's museum) and walked around for a few
hours. Even saw the Omniplex movie about a man obsessed with a lady
fish (even though they tried to pretend it was a doc about the great
lakes.)

Museum pics!

This building is one of the last remaining structures built for the
Chicago World's Fair in 1899 (it's the 100 year anniversary around
town.)


There were baby chicks. Still not sure why.


Ooo old car!


Me as a gun slinging baby?


Switchboaaard


Prom dresss


After I was tired of the screaming kids and semi pointless exhibits, I
walked across the street to enjoy Lake Michigan in all its glory. I
kept thinking "FRESH WATER?!?!?!"



It was a nice park





After Mel got off work, we met up and headed downtown to get some
Garrett's popcorn. I got the mix of cheesy and caramel. Was very
pleased.


Buckingham Fountain


There is so much public art in Chicago - all over. Even weird clear
brick constructions with images on them that spit water.



Then it was bean time.




After that we came home and made dinner - I roasted garlic for a
garlic-brie-bread-honey app and Mel made amazing gorgonzola and squash
risotto. Then we headed down the street to the Violet Hour for some
swanky cocktails. It was one of those bars that doesn't have a sign
and has tiny tables with high backed chairs. I has some drink with egg
white foam in it.

Great first full day to the trip. Lincoln Park Zoo tomorrow.. and
more. Poor little feet of mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home