music machinery, verbal wizardry

Monday, April 13, 2009


A few weeks ago my friend Nabil emailed me and asked if I wanted to go see St. Vincent at Cafe 939, a newish venue opened by Berklee School of Music (snots.) Yes please! So Laura and I went tonight.. It was a strange set up - a venue full of chairs with various students (I think) and press people, half full (it was invite only, and people kept looking at us like "why are THEY here??").. and an awkward St. Vincent performing solo on the stage. I did not envy her position - she definitely felt uncomfortable... but luckily she's charming with a good sense of humor and took it all in stride. She played a mix of songs from her old record and the new one, with electric guitar and loops and grand piano. The highlight for me was Marry Me, which was the song that first caught my ear. It was nice to hear her music stripped down - because her voice is so haunting. She's coming back in May to play the Somerville Theater.. might have to go again.

Thursday I'm going to go see Damien Jurado, even though I was advised that going alone would be "depressing." Caught in the Trees was one of my favorite records from last year, so I'd like to see it live.. Plus I gotta support Seattle musicssss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home