music machinery, verbal wizardry

Friday, February 02, 2007

Deep Ellum

I'm not usually on top of new restaurant/bar openings and whatnot, but when an old bar I rarely went to turns into a new bar, I sorta need to check it out and see if it holds the same once-in-a-while appeal. So, with that in mind, I piled down to the newly opened Deep Ellum (formerly Reel Bar) with Caitlin, Janell and Sally last night. The room is decidedly nice, especially to be sharing a strip with The Model and a few seedy restaurants. The standing bar has been replaced with a row of tables and everything seems a little more opened up and fresh. There's a nice selection of beers and cocktails (I had Alagash White and a poorly chosen Green Opal, which tasted a little too much like black licorice) and we all died over their handmade vegan burger. Our server was super friendly (especially with Janell) and practically begged us not to leave (but we did.) Overall, I think I will be returning often.. if only to enjoy they're sick sound system all night. Wincing The Night Away sounded like perfection through their speakers. Yes please.

We headed over to Great Scott after that and witnessed the Miss Fairchild set (ugh).. And the long-haired man who was freeballing in white yoga pants while doing ballerina spins and handstands. Hmmm. Head hit the pillow at approximately 1:30am. A fufilling evening indeed.

2 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Sander said...

Ah, now I get it. Deep Ellum is a club in Boston. Here in Dallas it's a section of town where the clubs are. Or, used to be anyway, the area is starting to collapse. Most of the nightclubs and resturants have closed and it looks like it's going to be a while before they start coming back. How ironic that the Boston version of Deep Ellum is more happening than the actual Deep Ellum.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FREEBALLLING! I love it. Never heard that term before but now I shall use it at every opportunity.

I hit Deep Ellum last week, liked it. I think I'll try to get the boyfriend to go tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home